Monday, February 2, 2009

Hair today

I'm letting my hair grow back in.

Not all of it will grow back in, of course, but whatever can grow will be allowed to grow.

My original decision almost four years ago to start shaving my dome was based on a desire to shape my own image, to seize control of my appearance from the cruel hand of nature and genetics. I thought it would make me look mean or tough or whatever; I don't know if it did or not.

What I do know is that just about every balding white guy under 55 is doing the same thing now. I pruned my goatee down to a soul patch a few months ago because the goatee has become part of the standard bald-white-guy look too.

Now I'm comfortable enough in my own skin and scalp to just go with what my daddy gave me. I'm sticking with the soul patch cuz I like it. (And Vannah doesn't want her godfather to grow a full beard.) If I start shaving my head again, it'll be because I want to, not because I'm trying to project an image.

Who knows? A semicircle of gray hair could be the next big trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, kind and civil. This is where spam and vitriol go to die.